Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Preschool Activities: My Favorite Picture Books to Read Aloud


by Tiffany Rudd
My awesome husband reading to the kids before bed. 
Anniston was just a few weeks old at the time. 

I LOVE books. One of my greatest joys as a mother is reading to my children. I love that my one year old gathers board books, crawls onto my lap and knows how to turn the pages. I love that we have to restrict the number of books the older kids choose for us to read aloud each night, and that we usually find books hiding under their covers in the morning. I hope their love for reading only grows stronger as they get older. 
I was excited to read my sisters post last week listing her favorite chapter books to read aloud. My son is just now to the age where he will sit through and enjoy a small chapter book, so I’ll definitely be putting her list to good use in coming years. But, as a preschool teacher, I still really enjoy a fun picture book. The kids usually beg for 5 or 6 every night. So, here is my list of favorite picture books to read aloud. They are ones my children choose over and over and ones I use in my preschool curriculum every year. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Educational:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin
Chicka, Chick 1-2-3 by Bill Martin
Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood
The Mixed Up Alphabet by Steve Matzger
Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin
Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack by Doreen Cronin & Betsy Lewin
Sheep in and Jeep by Nancy Shaw
“There are Rocks in my Socks!” Said the Ox to the Fox by Patricia Thomas
The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
Character Education:
The Sneetches by Dr Seuss
When Sophie Gets Angry-Really, Really, Angry... by Molly Bang
A Big Fat Enormous Lie by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
Just the Way You Are by Marcus Pfister
Smile a Lot! by Nancy Carlson
When I’m Feeling Happy by Trace Maroney
Words Are Not for Hurting by Elizabeth Verdick
Back To School:
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
A Pocket Full of Kisses by Audrey Penn
Just For Fun:
Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Good Night Goon A Petrifying Parody by Michael Rex
Because a Littte Bug went Ka-Choo! by Rosetta Stone
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (My kids LOVE to gather hats turn this story into a play!)
Underwear! by Mary Elise Monsell
Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner
Stone Soup by William Furstenberg 
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard
The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips