Monday, September 24, 2012

Toddler & Preschool Activities: Learning Colors

By Tiffany Rudd
This month I started teaching preschool in our home again. This is my 5th year teaching preschool and I'm pretty sure it is the best mom job ever! I just love gathering and creating snacks, crafts, songs, games and activities that make learning fun. Plus, of course I love teaching and learning with my own kids.

I'm especially excited this year because I get to share my preschool curriculum with you here on the blog! Let's start with Colors...

I titled this post "Toddler & Preschool Activities," because most of my students have come to preschool already knowing most if not all of their colors. So, I usually just start the year with one or two days to review the colors. Two or three years old is a great time to start learning colors with your child and a four year old is ready for some fun review and extension activities. 

Snack Ideas: 
      * Fruit Rainbow: This year I just used some fresh fruit (cherries, orange slices, pineapple, grapes and blueberries) to create a fun "fruit rainbow." We named the colors, talked about the order of the colors in the rainbow, and then of course we ate our rainbow.
      * Rainbow Jello: In the past I've also made rainbow jello. It's a little time consuming to make and allow each layer to set, but it sure is beautiful and fun to eat. Click on the photo below to go to one recipe. When I made it I only did one white layer and did a purple layer as well.
Activity Ideas:
      * Color Tubes: This is always one of the favorite color activities. Click on the photo below to see my post with 3 ways to use these fun color tubes.
      * Outdoor Color Hunt: With my preschool class I often just do an indoor or outdoor "touch the item" color hunt. I call out a color and the class runs to touch an item of that color as fast as they can. Click on the photo below to see the full post on this fun color activity.
      *Catch Anything: This fun printable game is a great way to review colors. Click on the photo below to print the mitt and color review page.
Free Printables:
      * My Color Book: Every year my students go home with a review book they created to help them practice colors, shapes, numbers and the alphabet letters. These books often become some of my own children's favorite books to "read" on their own and even to have read to them at bedtime. Click on the photo below to print a color review book for your child.
      * Learning Placemats: Just a few weeks ago I shared some learning placemats that have been great for helping my toddler learn her shapes and colors. Click on the photo below to read the whole post and print your own learning placemats.

Wow! That was a long post, but I hope it helps as you learn colors with your toddler or preschooler!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips